Friday, November 21

Another easy day

If every day on the LIRR were as easy as today, it would be wonderful. Of course I’d have nothing to complain about either.  Because complaining can be, you know, fun, maybe it’s good that every day isn’t like today.  Because of an early dentist appointment I drove to Ronkonkoma to get the 9:33 to Penn.  Which meant that I had to park in a dirt lot more than a quarter-mile east of the station on the north side.  That’s not a long distance in most respects, though when it’s as cold as it was today it sure seems longer.  While the 9:33 isn’t that long after the end of rush hour the ridership is quite different from what you get during rush hour.  No SCA’s, not that many other people who seemed like they were going to work, mostly people traveling in pairs or larger groups.  That also means that the noise level is higher than on most rush hour trains, though of course my iPod drowned out most of it.  Lastly, it also means stopping at every station along the way, including Pinelawn Cemetery.  The seat next to me stayed empty until an older woman sat next to me at Mineola, though she was not annoying at all.  We got to Penn on time, and I decided to take a 2 or 3 to Fulton rather than take my chances on the Eighth Avenue line.  In retrospect it wasn’t a good choice, as I missed a 3 by mere seconds and had to wait close to ten minutes until a 2 came along.

I got a C at Broadway-Nassau with less than a minute’s wait after work.  When we got to Canal there was an E on the opposite track, and the conductor helpfully announced that the E would be leaving first (the C has to switch onto the E’s track just north of the station).  I went to the E for the quick ride to Penn.  While sitting on the E, engrossed in a game of cell phone Tetris, I noticed out of the corner of the eye that the woman sitting a ways to my left, wearing a plaid skirt, seemed to have unusually hairy legs.  My curiosity piqued, I got a better look … turns out it wasn’t a woman at all, but a Scottish man. Oops.  I got to Penn a few minutes before five, and I hustled quickly – no, I did not break my solemn vow never to run for trains – to Track 14 and got the 5:01 to Ronkonkoma just before its doors closed.  Most trains would be way too crowded that close before departure, but the 5:01 is usually lightly traveled.  Today was definitely no exception.  The car in which I rode, near the east end of the consist, was not even one-third full.  Needless to say, no one sat next to me the whole way to Ronkonkoma.  Also needless to say, the quarter-mile walk to my car seemed like about ten times that length in the cold.

Gym: I worked for about six or seven minutes on the heavy bag.  That was less than the 15 minutes I had planned, but two of the four chains holding the bag to the overhead mount had come loose and I was a bit concerned that the 100-pound bag would fall onto me.  Using the nearby water-filled heavy bag wasn’t really an option because it was a little too close to a one-on-one basketball game being played on the nearby hoop.  The players were two gym regulars, a relatively short but very muscular man and his girlfriend … and the girlfriend was winning, and easily.  Some men might find that quite an ego-puncturing experience but this man didn’t seem to mind.  She was playing very well, I suspect she might be a former college player.  Anyway, I also did some work on the speed bag and the double end bag, and then ran two miles on the treadmill at 5.5 mph.

Published in: on November 22, 2008 at 4:36 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: