Tuesday, December 30

I can’t let myself get used to this

Sure, the half-empty trains this time of year are wonderful and all that, but I have to keep telling myself that it’s only a temporary state of affairs. Come next week it’ll be cattle train time once again. But hey, enjoy it while you can, right? I had to go in a bit earlier today than had been the case yesterday, but because I figured I might be able to leave earlier than usual I drove to Ronkonkoma rather than taking the shuttle from Medford. While I had been planning on getting the 7:32, traffic on the way to the station was lighter than usual and I ended up getting the 7:19 express. This is a train that’s always packed to the gills during “normal” times, but today in the mid-consist car where I rode all the middle seats and maybe a third to a half of the aisles seats stayed empty. The seat next to me wasn’t one of the empty ones, but it worked out okay because the woman who took it at Central Islip was of no more than average size. She spent almost all of the trip into Penn reading various religious tracts. I read the decidedly more secular Main Street and played a couple mediocre games of cell phone Tetris. We got to Penn on time, though my subway trip left a lot to be desired. For a change of pace – dumb move! – I decided to take the Eighth Avenue line, and ended up waiting nearly 10 minutes for an A. It of course was jammed.  Sometimes “change” is not desirable.

I learned my lesson and stuck with the 2/3 getting to Penn after work.  A 2 came along after just a minute’s wait at Fulton, and it was only moderately crowded.  A rather noisy and faceless skell spend much of the trip panhandling.  When I say “faceless” I don’t mean that he was just another anonymous figure in the sea of modern life, or anything metaphorical like that .  He was literally faceless, with a featureless mass of scar tissue instead of an actual face.  I got to Penn just in time to catch the 5:01 to Ronkonkoma, which just like yesterday was magnificently uncrowded.  While I didn’t count the number of people in the car, my reasoned guess is that it was substantially less than one-quarter full.  Between reading, and Tetris-ing, and some texting, the ride went by nice and quickly.

Gym: as the old expression goes, better late than never.  The leg work that I should have done Sunday, or at least yesterday?  I finally got around to doing it.  I’m really going to have to be more diligent about adhering to a more regular schedule.  As usual, I did trap bar deadlifts as the main exercise: 6 x 225, 6 x 255, 6 x 275, 4 x 285, 4 x 295, 2 x 305, 2 x 315, 6 x 225. Not too bad.  It was then time for neutral grip pull-ups, 6 x 6.  This makes 116 for the (Friday-Thursday) week so far, six over my quota of 110.  SLDL’s came next, 8 x 205, 2 x 8 x 215.  While the sore ankle that bothered me last weekend was mostly better, I decided not to tempt fate and avoided doing calf raises, as they put a lot of strain on the ankle joints.  I also did some work on the speed bag.

Published in: on December 31, 2008 at 4:04 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://ironrailsironweights.wordpress.com/2008/12/31/tuesday-december-30/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: