Monday, January 26

I knew it

As I’ve noted, one peculiarity of younger women on the LIRR is their habit of conking off with their heads titled back and their mouths gaping wide open.  You almost never see this ridiculous sleep posture among women past their late 20’s or men of any age.  There’s also a definite connection between mouth-gaping and, pardon the somewhat crude expression, hotness.  If a young woman is an “8” or higher she’s substantially more likely to sleep with her mouth wide open than is one of her less comely counterparts.  No, I have no idea whatsoever why this is the case.  I won’t even try to guess.  In any event, after driving to Ronkonkoma this morning and boarding the 7:32 to Penn, a young blonde woman sat next to me.  Perhaps it was her youthful beauty, perhaps it was just a hunch that cannot be explained, but I knew that she’d soon be in slumberland with her mouth wide open.  What I didn’t realize was that she’d be like that before the train even got to Central Islip.  We’re talking less than five minutes from wide awake to out like a (widemouthed) light.  As for me, I spent most of the ride reading The 10,000 Year Explosion. Talk about remarkable things, later in the morning I posed a question about the book in a discussion on the (highly recommended) blog, and shortly thereafter Henry Hardpening, one of the book’s authors, posted a comment addressing and answering my question.  How cool is that?  Anyway, we got to Penn on time, and I waited only a minute or so for a 3 train to Fulton.  I even got a seat.

Coming home almost turned into one of those fiascoes that only the LIRR can provide.  After a reasonably quick ride on a 2 from Fulton to Penn, I boarded the 5:22 to Ronkonkoma.  It got quite crowded, with a 50ish woman sitting next to me.  She wasn’t large, but insisted on carrying a huge purse – more like a suitcase – that of course kept bumping into me.  From the way it felt I think she was carrying lead pipes or something in it.  All went fine until Wyandanch, where we seemed to be staying on the platforms with the doors open for longer than usual.  After a couple minutes, the conductor announced something no one wanted to hear – the dispatcher had ordered us to hold at Wyandanch because of a “car on the tracks” at the Commack Road crossing just west of Deer Park station.  Oh, no.  This is the sort of thing that easily could cause delays of 90 minutes or more, if an earlier train had crunched the wayward car.  There were a couple more announcements that basically just said the same thing.  Fortunately, we got underway after about 15 minutes.  We went slowly through the Commack Road crossing, and a police car was partially blocking the road with its lights on.  I don’t know what the incident actually entailed.  One last annoyance happened when we got to Ronkonkoma.  We used the north track instead of the south one, and because (a) I was sitting near the east end of the consist, (b) my car was in the south side lot, and (c) the LIRR has never bothered to build a crossover at the east end of the platforms, I had to waste a few more minutes using the crossover at the middle of the platform.  Still, a 15- to 20-minute delay is a lot less than what it could have been.

Gym: 40 minutes ellipting, 4.18 miles, 691 calories.  Not bad.

Published in: on January 27, 2009 at 3:38 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: