Thursday, February 26

Talking shop – endlessly

A generally trouble-free day today, on both the LIRR and the subway.  What a surprise.  The shuttle was on time at Medford, as was the 6:56 from Ronkonkoma to Flatbush Avenue.  The latter train was an M-7 consist, which is always a disappointment, but it didn’t really matter because a woman of no more than average size sat next to me from Deer Park to Jamaica and was no bother.  I spent most of the ride reading more of Atlas, an entertaining book (even if Teddy Atlas may perhaps exaggerate some of his youthful misdeeds), and I was in Brooklyn practically before I knew it.  Unlike yesterday, the 4 and 5 seemed to be running normally, though according to the MTA’s site there were some delays on Brooklyn-bound trains through Franklin Avenue in the morning.  I waited a few minutes for a 4 to Fulton, and it was moderately but tolerably crowded.

It always seems as if I just miss or 2 or 3 at Fulton after work.  Today it was quite different, as I walked down the stairs to the platform and right onto a 2, without even breaking stride.  It was pretty crowded, but what with the good timing I wasn’t about to complain or anything.  I got the 5:41 to Ronkonkoma, on its usual Track 19.  A woman sitting in the row in front of me was chattering away nonstop on her cell phone about work stuff.  She spent at least ten minutes telling her listener about her upcoming meeting with the company’s CIO (or CTO, I don’t remember, is there even a difference?), and even though I obviously could hear only one end of the conversation I had the impression that the hapless listener was not thrilled to hear so much about the meeting.  The woman went on and on, leading me to believe that she was just too obsessed with her job, I mean the conversation didn’t sound that important.  At least it made for a break from the ordinary.  In fact, I didn’t turn on my iPod, as in a perverse sort of sense it was interesting to listen to all this obsessive chatter.  She eventually shut up – perhaps the listener had dropped dead of boredom – and I started playing cell phone Tetris, not too successfully alas.  An SCA sat next to me, but surprisingly he was on the slim side and therefore did not squash me at all.  Combined with an on-time arrival at Ronkonkoma and a similarly on-time shuttle, it wasn’t a bad day at all.

Gym: I reached my quota, and then some, by running two miles on the treadmill at 5.5 mph.  I had wanted to do some bench presses and pull-ups, but my left elbow was a bit sore after all the pull-ups I did the other day, and after just a couple bench reps at 135 I figured that waiting a day or two would be a smart decision.

Published in: on February 27, 2009 at 3:47 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: