Wednesday, March 25

It’s all about the money

It’s not enough that riding the LIRR is a horrible experience.  Or even that it’s expensive.  No, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the agency that runs the LIRR, is trying to deal with a budget crisis by raising fares beyond their already exorbitant levels.  Years and years of never saying “no” to even the most unreasonable union demands means that commuters are (literally) paying the price.  I’m so fed up with the fare hikes that I haven’t even checked to see exactly how much more it will cost me each month.  Other than that it’ll be a lot.  True, the increases aren’t a done deal, there are going to be public hearings, but almost certainly people will pay more. For less. And that is nothing to be happy about.

At least my actual commuting today wasn’t bad at all.  I got the shuttle from Medford, then the 7:19 express from Ronkonkoma to Penn.  As is now my usual pattern I rode in the car closest to the ticket office, and not surprisingly it was occupied mainly by normal people.  I had plenty of room because a young woman who couldn’t have weighed much over 100 pounds – a “Century” – sat next to me, and I was scarcely even aware of her presence.  What with reading, and a couple games of Tetris, the ride went by quickly. I waited a couple of minutes for a 2 train to Park Place, though it was definitely on the crowded side.

For the first time in weeks I ventured onto the Eighth Avenue line after work.  Not that I wanted to do so, but the MTA’s site was reporting delays on the 2 and 3 line.  At least I only had to wait a couple of minutes for an A from Broadway-Nassau, which for that line is a very short wait.  I was talking to a man who works at my company, who told me that PATH service from the World Trade Center to Hoboken wasn’t running. He was taking the A to West 4th, and then would make the long walk to the Christopher Street stop on PATH’s other line.  That was a much bigger inconvenience than my having to take the A instead of the 2 or 3, so I really couldn’t complain.  I got the 5:41 to Ronkonkoma, which was definitely in cattle-train territory today.  A somewhat larger-than-average woman in her 50’s sat next to me, and left me with just enough room.  Had she taken off her thick wool coat (wasn’t it awfully hot?) I would have had enough room, but alas she kept it on for the whole ride.  Still, it could’ve been much worse, for example the enormous man of two weeks ago … it’s going to be a long time before I forget that particular incident. I spent most of the ride playing Tetris, and it went by quickly enough.

Gym: I started out with a 2-mile run on the treadmill at 5.7 mph. The first treadmill that I began using had an uneven surface, and I had to switch to another one after a couple minutes.  I’m not counting the distance run on the first one.  Next came one-arm dumbbell rows, 3 x 8 x 110/110.  Next time I’ll try a 115-pound dumbbell.  Hammer Strength MTS shoulder press: 8 x 100, 8 x 105, 8 x 100.  This is progress over last time.  Precor pec flies: 8 x 115, 8 x 120, 8 x 125, 8 x 130, 8 x 135.  Not bad.

Published in: on March 26, 2009 at 3:45 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: