Tuesday, May 26

Welcome back from the long weekend, LIRR-style

It was quite a welcome. You can be sure of that.  I got the shuttle from Medford, which was a few minutes late.  It was also quite crowded, which didn’t surprise me.  As the 6:56 from Ronkonkoma to Flatbush Avenue was using M-7’s, I waited for the 7:19 to Penn.  It too was jammed, with even some of the middle seats taken before we left the station.  I had a few anxious moments but finally found an aisle seat next to a man who was no more than about 200 pounds.  Anorectic, by LIRR terms.  It was an easy enough ride into Penn, well except for some of the people who boarded at Central Islip and all of those who boarded at Brentwood, who had to stand the whole way.  I had good timing at Penn, with no wait at all for a 2 train to Fulton.

Getting home, well, it started uneventfully.  My wait for a 3 at Fulton was in the 5-minute range, a bit longer than usual but tolerable, and I then got the 5:22 from Penn to Ronkonkoma.  It wasn’t quite as crowded as the morning’s train had been, which isn’t to say it was empty by any means.  I had a window seat and an average-sized woman of about 30 sat next to me.  For most of the ride I read, finally finishing The Omnivore’s Dilemma, and had a couple of mediocre games of Tetris.  We got to Ronkonkoma on time, and I waited on the platform for the shuttle to Medford. After a while it became apparent that the Hunterspoint Avenue train, the one which connects to the 5:23 at Jamaica, was running late.  Then it was the 5:41 out of Penn that was late.  Both are official connecting trains to the shuttle, so the shuttle can’t leave until after they arrive.  Finally, the station PA announced that both trains were delayed “due to police activity” at Brentwood.  That was something I was not eager to hear.  “Police activity” on the subway can mean any number of things, but on the LIRR it usually means that a train has tangled with a pedestrian or a car … which also means that it is sure to be a long delay.  It was likely that it had been the Hunterspoint train which was involved in the tangle.  Whatever had happened at Brentwood must have occurred just a few minutes after my train had passed through the station.  Another ominous thing was that the message signs were announcing that the trains were delayed, without saying for how long.  At some point I went to the ticket window and found out that the train had struck a car, fortunately the clerk said that 3rd-rail power was in the process of being restored.  He thought service would be back up within an hour.  Around 7:30, the 7:13 Penn Station train finally got underway, and the delays were announced as being  in the 45- to 50-minute range.  Both eastbound trains arrived within a few minutes of one another about 7:40, and the shuttle left shortly thereafter.  I ended up back in Medford just before 8, a delay of about 55 minutes.

Gym: day off tonight.

Published in: on May 28, 2009 at 2:29 am  Comments (2)  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://ironrailsironweights.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/tuesday-may-26/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

2 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. A shade less than a 13 1/2 hour day. Piece of cake.

  2. It wasn’t pleasant, you can be sure of that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: