Thursday, June 25

When your wishes come true …

Only rarely in my years of LIRR riding have specific wishes come true.  And the thing is, when they do come true, it’s not necessarily a good thing.  I was able to work a slightly shorter day today, and as a result drove to Ronkonkoma rather than getting the shuttle from Medford, arriving in time to get the 7:32 to Penn.  The south side parking lot was moderately crowded when I arrive around 7:25, not what I’d call empty but not full by any means.  That same moderate-crowding theme carried over to the train as well.  I rode near the east end of the consist and not even a third of the seats were taken when we left Ronkonkoma.  The car filled up gradually, with the seat next to me finally getting taken at Farmingdale by a tall but not wide man in his 30’s.  It was an uneventful ride into Penn, no delays or anything.  One rather unusual thing happened on the 3 train I took to Fulton.  There was a skell working the car, nothing odd about that, but he was playing a clarinet.  I’ve never seen a skell playing that particular instrument.  Violins, saxophones, trumpets, guitars, but never before a clarinet.  He wasn’t getting much money and got off at Chambers to try his luck in another car.

Thanks to being able to leave early, plus a very short wait for a 3 at Fulton, I got to Penn just in time to catch the 5:01 to Ronkonkoma.  It wasn’t nearly as empty as I though it would be.  A young woman took the seat next to me at Woodside and was chattering very loudly on her cell phone in a language I didn’t understand (Korean?)  Even with my iPod churning away it was impossible to drown out the sound.  I really hope she gets off at Jamaica, I thought to myself.  Maybe then I’ll get some peace and quiet.  Well, my wish came true.  She indeed got off at Jamaica, and the man who took her place was silent.  That’s the good part.  The not-so-good part is that he weighed somewhere north of 250 pounds.  I wasn’t squashed into goo like in the March 11 horror show, but that doesn’t mean it was pleasant.  I so wished the noisy woman, who must’ve weighed less than half of what this man weighed, hadn’t gotten off the train.  Cell phone babble can be ignored to some extent, especially when it’s in a foreign language, but squishy fat pressing up against me cannot be ignored.  It was a barely tolerable ride to Wyandanch, when Tubby moved to another seat, though the rest of the way to Ronkonkoma was easy enough.

Gym: Some decent deadlifting to start the session.  8 x 225, 8 x 155, 6 x 275, 4 x 295, 3 x 315, 6 x 265. I then worked on the Hammer Strength MTS row, with some progress over last time: 8 x 115/115, 8 x 110/110, 8 x 105/105, 8 x 100/100.  Dunno why I did this declining weight pattern, it’s not my usual thing, but it worked out fine.  I then did four 3-minute rounds on the heavy bag, two punching and two kicking.

Published in: on June 27, 2009 at 4:36 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: