Friday, August 21

The SCA drought continues

Being a men’s suitmaker in today’s economy must not be particularly pleasant.  It wasn’t so long ago that Ronkonkoma trains were a veritable sea of suits.  Today, not remotely so.  This was illustrated quite well on the trains today, with SCA’s few and far between.  Not that I’m complaining, or anything.  I drove to Ronkonkoma and got the 7:19 to Penn.  It was surprisingly crowded, with most of the non-middle seats taken before we left the station.  But with normal people, that’s the point.  A woman in her early 30’s or thereabouts took the seat next to me, but made so little impression on me – thanks to no annoying behavior – that an hour after getting off the train I couldn’t even think of what she looked like.  I spent most of the ride reading, and it went by quickly without any delays.  I had a rather long wait for a 2 train to Park Place, close to ten minutes, and when I finally got there, the long escalator leading up from the deep platform was out of service.  So typical.

It was starting to rain when I left work, so I entered the subway close to my workplace. Using this entrance requires walking along the A/C platform in order to reach the 2/3 section, and as I was doing so a C ambled into the station. Despite my dislike of the Eighth Avenue line this was too easy an opportunity to ignore.  I’ll have to admit, the train wasn’t particularly crowded, I had no trouble finding a seat, and the dwell times at the stations were not inordinately long.  I’ll still stick with the 2/3, however, as in most cases the waits on the A/C are just too long.  Once at Penn I got the 5:22 to Ronkonkoma.  Taking this train when I’m using the Medford shuttle is not advisable because it’s not a guaranteed connection to the shuttle.  Of course that didn’t matter today, what with my car in Ronkonkoma.  It was quite crowded, and more to the point noisy.  Being a summer Friday there were quite a few weekend getaway-type riders in the car, which means they were traveling in groups rather than alone like most commuters.  That, in turn, means talking, and for some reason today much of the talking was very loud talking.  Even with my iPod much of the racket could be heard.  The ride otherwise wasn’t any trouble, with a 30ish woman taking the seat next to me and, like her morning’s counterpart, being quiet and non-squirmy and basically making no impression on me whatsoever.  Noise or not, at least the ride went by quickly.

Postscript: when I got home, there was a letter from the LIRR stating that my September mail-and-ride monthly ticket wasn’t issued because the amount paid (via paycheck withholding) was $18 short. This presumably was because the withholding amount hadn’t been adjusted in time for the recent fare increase.  Had there been no withholding at all I would just buy a ticket for September, but the fact that the LIRR has my money (less $18) means I’m going to have to call their mail-and-ride department on Monday to square things out.  A process which, I am reasonably sure, will involve a great deal of time and hassle.

Gym: I ran two miles on the treadmill at 5.8 mph, and then did bodyweight dips. A lot of bodyweight dips to be accurate, a total of 80 reps: 5 x 12, 2 x 10.

Published in: on August 23, 2009 at 2:56 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: