Monday, April 2 – Wednesday, April 4

Let’s just say I’m glad the training is over

Over these three days I had a taste of Expressway rush hour traffic both mornings and evenings as I attended a training session in western Suffolk.  More specifically, along the very busy Route 110 corridor at Exit 49.  Without going into boring detail, I was able to make some observations on Expressway traffic patterns.  Yes, I know, three days may not be quite enough to reach definitive conclusions, but then again I see no reason why these days were not representative.

On my morning journey, which started around 7 each day, I got on the Expressway at Exit 64, which happens to be the beginning of the HOV lanes (not that they’d do me much good) and the eastern extent of the more or less continuous development that characterizes much of Long Island.  Traffic wasn’t bad at first, but locked up tighter than a drum at Exit 62 with vehicles entering from Nichols Road, a major north-south route.  From then on it was stop-and-go for several miles until it eased up considerably at Exit 55.  There’s an enormous industrial park just north of that exit, and some county office buildings not far away, hence considerable exiting volume.  But wait!  This reprieve lasted just a mile or two until Exit 53 (there is no Exit 54) , where cars came flooding on from the Sagtikos and Sunken Meadow parkways … “flooding,” Sunken Meadow, ha ha.  For the next five miles or so to my destination at Exit 49 traffic was slow but moved at a barely tolerable pace.  It wasn’t nearly as bad as the nightmare from exits 62 to 55.  One amusing thing is that a very gentle upgrade approaching Exit 50 caused a noticeable slowdown.  Aren’t cars able to, you know, climb hills?

Things were a bit different in the evenings.  From where I got on at Exit 49 until Exit 51 things pretty much crawled.  They seemed quite a bit worse eastbound in the evening than they were westbound in the morning.  The parkways at Exit 53 didn’t have much effect, nor did the workplaces near Exit 55.  The worst part came at Exit 57, Veterans Memorial Highway, exacerbated by an upgrade from exits 58 to 59, and traffic didn’t ease out again until all the people exiting for Nichols Road at Exit 62.

In terms of time, my morning Expressway trip took about 50 minutes on Monday and just about an hour on the other two days.  Keep in mind this is for a distance of no more than 20 miles.  Each evening was about the same, around 45 minutes.  Oh, the training?  It was okay, if not what I’d call scintillating, and it moved faster than expected and ended after three days.  I’ll have Thursday and Friday off.

What with all this driving, I wasn’t much up for the gym.

Published in: on April 5, 2012 at 9:58 pm  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: