Monday, July 8 – Tuesday, July 9

Less traffic than I expected.  But worse service.

Monday began my 3-week assignment in Mount Vernon, just north of the Bronx line.  Unless things change, which is always a distinct possibility in my line of work, it should be my last regular assignment off of Long Island as my assignments starting in late July should all be more or less local.  I’m sure there’ll still be some occasional fill-in assignments that will require more driving.

Getting to Mount Vernon on Monday morning was surprisingly easy.  I left home about 5:15, and had a nearly slowdown-free ride all the way.  Traffic on the Long Island Expressway was just a slight bit sluggish near Glen Cove Road and against just before my exit to the Cross Island.  I was past the (obscene) tolls on the Throgs Neck Bridge and into the Bronx in an hour, which would have been beyond unthinkable had I left even 30 minutes later.  From there it was only about ten minutes up the Hutchinson River Parkway to Mount Vernon.  My return trip, leaving just before 3pm, was slower, which is about what I expected.  Some slow traffic on the bridge and then between exits 35 and 38 on the Expressway.

Tuesday morning’s trip took about ten minutes longer than Monday’s, the result of a crash on the Cross Island that caused a bit of a backup.  Oddly enough, getting home was easier, even though I left around 3:20 and therefore should have hit more traffic.  Funny how these things work …

Gym: I knew that I had to do some leg work on Monday, but for some reason I had very little energy.  Instead of squats as I had planned, or even more leg presses, I did leg extensions and leg curls on a few machines.  All of them were selectorized machines that give various resistance levels but don’t list actual weights.  No, I’m not going to make a habit out of using them, but for an occasional expedient, they’re okay.  I also did 15 minutes on this rowing machine, a strange-looking contraption, but it definitely was no walk in the park.

On Tuesday, I had wanted to go to the gym once more, but instead had to go to the local Verizon Wireless store because my phone is having trouble taking a charge.  Needless to say, it was not a satisfactory outcome.  Instead of giving me a new phone on the spot, the store manager – a hot but stupid woman – said I’d have to have one sent to me by the manufacturer.  She claimed that the phones in the store are only for sale as new phones and can’t be used as warranty replacements.  I am 100% sure that exceptions can be made, but unfortunately my powers of persuasion weren’t particularly effective.  Now I have to hope I can eke out the existing charge until the replacement arrives in a couple days.

Published in: on July 11, 2013 at 3:32 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: