Monday, September 9 – Wednesday, September 11

A reminder, if I’d forgotten

It’s been a while since I’ve had to deal with rush hour traffic except to the most limited extent.  If I’d been in any danger of forgetting its “joys,” Monday and Tuesday served as not-particularly-gentle reminders. As my new schedule calls for me to start work at 8 am, I have to deal with the heart of the morning rush hour.

Don’t get me wrong.  It’s not as if I’m spending three hours a day crawling along in a stop-and-go nightmare.  Twenty minutes is more like it.  Even so, it is a somewhat disturbing experience, like a horror movie in which you get just a fleeting glimpse of the monster.  Monday’s worksite was near Exit 57 on the Long Island Expressway.  Traffic was backed up starting at Exit 62, maybe five miles from Exit 57, yet it took me a good 15 to 20 minutes to cover that distance.  Had I been going further west it wold be have truly hideous, with the overhead signs warning of delays all the way to Exit 51, at least another ten miles, with an estimated travel time of 45 minutes.  Ugh.  Suffice to say I was very happy to see my exit.

Tuesday’s worksite was only slightly further away, except this time it was off the Sunrise Highway rather than the Expressway.  I was figuring that there’d be stop-and-go traffic for a few miles approaching the Southern State Parkway split.  Sure enough, that’s exactly what happened, and it took between ten and 15 minutes to negotiate those three miles.

On a brighter note, I had no trouble getting home either day, and Wednesday was a breeze because my worksite was to the east of me, in other words against the flow of traffic.  As for the new assignment, everything is going fine, and I believe I’ll like the concept of the two-week rotations.

Wednesday evening’s hot yoga was a bit different, as the usual instructor wasn’t there.  Her replacement, whom I’m seen around the studio before, had a more businesslike and less chatty manner.  It took a bit of getting used to it, but after a while she seemed fine and the session went about as well as could be expected.

Published in: on September 13, 2013 at 3:41 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: