Monday, September 23 – Wednesday, September 25

Settling into the routine

This week marked the beginning of my second “cycle” on my new work assignments.  As I’ve noted, I go to seven workplaces on a two-week cycle, four of them on the first week and three on the second, with one site spread over two days on the cycle’s second week.  What this meant is that I got to experience the same commuting each day that I had experienced two weeks earlier.  Does that make sense?  Anyway, on Monday I dealt with rush hour traffic on the Expressway as far as Exit 57.  It took me about 20 minutes to cover the seven- or eight-mile distance, which is in the category of bad, but not as bad as it could have been.  At least I was thankful that it was a short journey.

Tuesday it was the Sunrise Highway’s turn, and even though I went through the bad section (the three or so miles preceding the Southern State Parkway split) at just about the same time of the morning as I had done two weeks earlier traffic was notably lighter.  It’s funny and inexplicable how these things work.  Wednesday’s trip was eastbound, to the Expressway’s end in Riverhead, and as it was against the flow of traffic it was an easy drive.  Actually, in that area the morning’s flow of traffic is only slightly lighter in the eastbound direction, say something like a 55-45 split.  Some of the eastbound traffic gets off at Exit 68, probably for the Brookhaven National Laboratory, but many people go all the way to the end in Riverhead.  Which isn’t surprising, as Riverhead is both the Suffolk County seat and has a large commercial district.

Gym: I didn’t go on Monday but had a nice session on Tuesday.  I started out with dips, doing 10 x bodyweight, 3 x 8 x bodyweight + 25, 2 x 10 x bodyweight.  Dips without added weight are easy enough that I figure it’s better to do sets of ten rather than of eight.  It was also nice t be able to add 25 pounds.  My goal is to add a 45-pound plate.  In addition to the dips I did 3 x 10 of my medicine ball exercise, using the 20-pound ball.  I also did just a couple of sets, 2 x 8 to be precise, on the moveable-seat row machine, at resistance level 17 of 18.  I had wanted to do more but quickly lost energy.
Wednesday’s hot yoga session was a big success. In fact, it was the best session I’ve had.  I was able to make it through  the entire 90 minutes without having to rest, and my balance seems to have gotten a lot better.

Published in: on September 27, 2013 at 2:39 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: