Back from Florida
It was a short but pleasant trip, and even the break from the gym which it entailed probably wasn’t a bad idea. Tomorrow it’s back to work (and the gym) as usual.
Some observations, in no particular order:
1. Spirit Airlines is ridiculously cheap. $175 round trip from LaGuardia to Ft. Lauderdale is about half what it would have cost on (the supposedly cheap) Southwest Airlines. Yes, there are a host of additional fees, but with some planning they can be avoided.
2. Spirit has a new co-branded credit card with Bank of America. The flight attendants tout it so relentlessly I am half-convinced they’re under quota pressure.
3. Driving to LaGuardia airport in morning rush hour is horrendous. What made it worse is realizing, as I approached the Queens line on the Long Island Expressway, is that because there was another person in my car (who would be driving it back), I could have used the HOV lane … which, needless to say, ends at the Queens line.
4. The flight down to Fort Lauderdale was the first flight that I’ve ever been on in which a majority of the passengers, I’d say two-thirds or more, were racial/ethnic minorities. Most likely it’s because Spirit has a number of connecting flights from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean and Central/South America.
5. Verizon Wireless service in Florida is MUCH better than on Long Island. There is simply no comparison.
6. While it’s legal for gas stations in Florida to charge more for credit cards, as some do, it doesn’t seem to be a common practice. Not like New York, where almost all do.
7. The Q70 Limited bus from LaGuardia to the Roosevelt Avenue subway station is an absolute gem. It makes airport transportation so much better than it used to be.