Thursday, October 24 – Friday, October 25


Thursday was one of those relatively rare workdays in which I experienced a last-minute change of plans.  I get these maybe once a month, rare enough that they come as a surprise when they happen.  I was almost at the scheduled worksite, about 15 miles to the west, when I got a call from my district manager sending me to a different site.  This one is about 20 miles to the east of where I live, meaning that it would be almost a 35-mile drive from where I was when the call came.  I didn’t mind, especially because the scheduled worksite has such poor cell phone reception that my phone’s battery gets completely drained even before the end of the workday. 

Friday was a day off from work, and I took advantage of the opportunity to make a visit to the local DMV office to renew my registration.  I was figuring it would be another hurry-up-and-wait situation, but it turned out that the DMV has just installed a self-service kiosk for registration renewals.  I was in and out of the office in five minutes, which would be utterly beyond ridiculous had the kiosk not been there.  Amazing, isn’t it, the DMV is actually embracing modern technology?

I’ve started a new book on my phone’s Kindle app, Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink.  It’s about the situation at what was then known as Memorial Hospital in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.  There was no power, very hot temperatures, and a general breakdown of order.  There also were claims that some patients were given lethal doses of morphine and sedatives.  Although charges were dropped against the doctor and other staff members accused of administering these injections, what actually happened remains a mystery.  My view is that the doctor in question comes off as such an immensely unlikeable person, I wouldn’t have cared if she were imprisoned despite being completely innocent.

Gym: Thursday evening was my first trip back in over a week.  I was going to do cable machine rows, like I’ve been doing for a few weeks, but because the machine was in use I decided to go back to one-arm dumbbell rows: 4 x 8 x 100/100.  They went well.  I also did 6 x 10 of my medicine ball exercise, as usual with the 20-pound ball.

Published in: on October 27, 2013 at 3:23 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: