Wednesday, February 5 – Friday, February 7

On the (long) road to recovery

Getting to work Wednesday morning was a slight challenge due to the snow and sleet that had fallen overnight and was still coming down a bit in the morning.  The site was about 15 miles away, near the eastern end of the Long Island Expressway, and the going was more than a bit slippery.  I probably didn’t go much above 35 mph the whole way.  Fortunately, the workday went easy enough, and the roads were fine coming back. I went to yoga in the evening and had a fairly good session.  My flexibility wasn’t quite what I had hoped it would be, though on a better note my balance continues to improve.

Thursday was a very busy workday, one that lasted much longer than usual.  Nothing actually went awry, it was just a matter of a whole lot of things that had to be done.  On a better note, for the first time ever I had semi-decent cellphone reception.  The site, about ten miles to the west, has been a notorious dead zone.  Today I actually had three out of six bars and 3G service most of the time. I guess Verizon Wireless finally built a new tower in the area.  High time.

Friday was, as usual, a day off from my regular job, a possibility of some extra work having fallen through.  After doing not much of anything during the earlier part of the day, at 4 I went into the Major Home Improvement Retailer for a 4-hour shift.  It was busy for the first couple of hours and then got slower, and I took advantage of the slower time to finish my online training assignments.  They were due on the 15th, but I figured it was better to get them done a week earlier.  I’m not sure what my next assignments will be, but I hope it will be training and certification for the forklift or the reach (a smaller version of the forklift).  It’s not uncommon for me to have to retrieve things from the overhead storage racks, and sometimes it takes a while to find a certified operator who isn’t busy.

Around 8:45 on Friday evening I went to the gym for yet another leg session.  I wasn’t particularly eager, as I really wanted to get back to upper-body work.  After doing some seated leg curls, 5 x 8 x 160, I decided to throw caution to the wind, as it were, and risk doing upper body work.  I had no enthusiasm at all for more leg work.  As I still have to let my left elbow heal, I decided to do very light upper-body work.  Bench pressing clearly was out, so I cautiously tried some machine flies.  My elbow seemed okay during this exercise so I did 4 x 8 at a resistance level of 9 out of 18.  I then did some machine dips, 5 x 10 at level 8 out of 18.  I know, this isn’t much weight, but it’s a start.  I decided to call it quits on the session after these two exercises, not wanting to wait until I felt any elbow pain.  While I could have done more leg work, I didn’t have any motivation to do so.

Published in: on February 10, 2014 at 3:51 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: