Friday, March 7 – Sunday, March 9

No gym during the day on Friday, as I was a bit sore from Thursday’s session as well as Wednesday’s yoga.  Truth be said, I didn’t do much of anything before moseying into the Major Home Improvement Retailer for my 4 to 9 shift.

It’s when I arrived that things took a surprising turn.  I found out that starting the week after next, I’ll be moving to a new job function, the freight team for the garden department.  That itself is not surprising, as the MHIR moves people around all the time.  What was more surprising is that my hours will be very different: 8pm to midnight on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

That’s actually going to work out pretty well.  My regular job is 8 to 3:30-ish Monday through Thursday.  Under the new schedule at the MHIR, I will have Fridays completely off, and on Saturdays and Sundays will work only four hours each evening.  While I will have two days (Monday and Tuesday) at which I’ll be working both jobs, up from just Tuesdays now, the MHIR shifts will be for only four hours and there’ll be a substantial break between the two jobs.  All in all that’s better.  I won’t have the nine-hour Sunday shifts that I now do, which will come as a major relief. As for the new duties, I believe they’ll be a welcome break too, as my work pace should be steadier in comparison to the ups and downs of my present function.

Saturday came as a major relief.  It was my first day completely off from work in two weeks, and I tried to savor every minute 🙂 I was able to get quite a few things done, though I was careful to avoid putting myself on any sort of schedule (and thus defeating the point of a day off).  In the early evening I went to the gym for some back work.  As I’ve been doing, I used the Hoist moveable-seat row machine, 4 x 8 at resistance level 17 of 18.  Wanting to try something different, I went back to another old standby, T-bar rows, figuring correctly that if I used the palms-facing handle my still-questionable elbow would be fine.  I did 8 x 95, 3 x 8 x 120.  All went fine.

Sunday was my next-to-last long shift at the MHIR.  It was slow at first but then got very busy.  I’d say I spent half my time doing my normal duties and the other half, during the downtime for the regular stuff, assisting customers in various parts of the store.  It wasn’t a bad day, as these things go, but it was a long one.  What didn’t help was that I was adjusting to the time change.  As far as I know it was the first time in my lift that I worked on the day a time change took effect.

Published in: on March 11, 2014 at 4:22 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: