Friday, April 4 – Sunday, April 6

Friday was a welcome day off, something that’s not particularly common given my schedule.  It took me a long time to get going in the morning, and I’m not sorry in the least.  What, I’m supposed to be a dynamo of energy every single day?  Really.  Once I finally got going I did a number of errands and other minor chores. While I had been planning on going to the gym in the early evening, that didn’t come to pass, instead we made another trip to P.F. Chang’s.  The same thing that had derailed my gym plans on Monday, not that I’m complaining.  Tip: the hot fish Hunan style is terrific.

Saturday was an early start for me as I had an 8 to 2:30 shift at the Major Home Improvement Retailer.  What made the shift unusual is that I was barely inside the building at all.  Mulch was on sale, at two dollars a bag, and a sales area had been set up in the side parking lot.  That’s where I spent my shift.  People were buying big quantities, typical amounts were 20 bags or more, and along with a couple other people I was helping them load the bags into their vehicles.  While the bags weren’t particularly heavy, the sheer volume made it a pretty tough day.  On the good side, the shift went by very quickly.

My Sunday shift was a bit later, 10 to 3:30.  For the first half hour I worked on the outside mulch sale, but then I got reassigned to pulling online orders.  That’s actually my regular job, one to which I’ll probably returning once the garden season is over.  It wasn’t easy today, for two reasons.  The first and more basic reason is simply that the orders were large, in one case involving almost 200 paving stones.  The second reason, well, it’s sort of my fault.  I recently had bought a pair of steel toe boots at Walmart, paying only about $30 in what I had thought was a terrific deal.  They felt fine when I tried them on in the store, too. Well, suffice to say that upon wearing them on Sunday, within an hour they began to hurt my feet.  A lot. By the end of my shift I was limping and in constant pain, and later found that the horrible boots had left a couple of raw patches on my toes.  Thanks, Walmart!

I made it to the gym on Saturday for leg work.  As my hands were quite sore from all the mulch-loading I had done all day, I decided to use machines rather than do trap bar deadlifts or squats.  I used a Hoist moveable-seat leg press, doing 6 x 10 at the maximum resistance level of 18/18.  That may sound impressive, but in fact it wasn’t all that difficult.  Next came lying leg curls, 3 x 8 x 110.  To finish the session I did standing calf raises, 3 x 10 x 270.

Published in: on April 9, 2014 at 9:14 pm  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: