Wednesday, May 14 – Friday, May 16

Back to yoga

Wednesday was the first of my two days at the same worksite.  This happens every two weeks, and combined with the fact that the worksite is just a short drive away makes for an easy end to the cycle.  At least it usually does.  Wednesday was in fact a fairly low-pressure day, with more than ample time to finish my assignments and no sense whatsoever of being rushed.  Couldn’t ask for anything more.

After work on Wednesday I decided to go to yoga – yes, yoga! – for the first time in a couple of weeks and the second time in two months.  Hard to believe I was away from it for so long. As I was heading to the studio I was quite concerned whether I’d be able to handle the heat or make it through the entire routine.  Would it be like going back to square one as a rank beginner?  As things went, I did better than expected but it was still a struggle.  My endurance was as good as it had been, no slippage there, and my flexibility was pretty good too.  My balance, not so much, that seems to have declined a bit from when I had been going regularly.  With a bit of luck it should be back to normal soon.

Thursday’s work came as a bit of a surprise.  As the second day at the two-day worksite it should have been a breeze. That’s certainly the usual pattern.  To my distinctly less-than-welcome surprise, however, it was a tough, challenging day.  One snag after another after another. Most likely this was because I will be off next week and had to clear up loose ends.  Speaking of the week off, one thing I found out is that there’s a chance that when I return the day after Labor Day I might have different worksites on my rotation.  It wouldn’t matter too much if that’s the case, as on balance the new sites wouldn’t be any more distant than the existing ones, but all in all it would be preferable to stick with the existing ones if only because I’ve gotten to know each one’s quirks. I will know for sure on Wednesday.

Friday seemed like a day off even though I went into the Major Home Improvement Retailer for 8 to midnight.  Got errands done, goofed off, spent too much time online, the usual drill. What I did do that was more productive is have a really good gym session. Now that I’ll have a week with ample time on my hands I have no excuse not to get back into a regular gym (and yoga) routine.  As part of this, I’ve also decided to reduce my use of machines and concentrate on free weights.

First came dumbbell bench presses.  Not having done them in a few weeks I figured it would be best to start with lighter weights, and concentrate on the always-difficult way of getting them into position.  I ended up doing 3 x 8 x 80/80, 2 x 8 x 85/85.  What I figured out is that if I prevent my arms from going too wide while getting the dumbbells into position it will be much easier to manage them.  I actually had no trouble with the 85’s and should be ready for the 90’s soon. Next came a brief sojourn back into machines, with some flies: 4 x 6 x 175.  Then it was back to the dumbbells for overhead presses, 4 x 8 x 40/40.  I would have preferred to have used  a barbell, but even though it was late Friday afternoon the gym was crowded and no spare barbells were to be had.  I finished the session with dips, no more machines for this, 2 x 8 x bodyweight.


Published in: on May 18, 2014 at 2:41 pm  Comments (1)  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

One CommentLeave a comment

  1. Thanks to my father who told me on the topic of this weblog, this blog is actually awesome.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: