Friday, May 23 – Monday, May 26

Four days in a row: not easy

As most people enjoyed a holiday weekend I worked four days in a row at the Major Home Improvement Retailer.  Now, that might not seem like much, but consider: I work in the garden department, and this is just about the busiest time of year in that department.  To say that these were very busy shifts would be the understatement of the year.

For most of the day on Friday I was dragging myself around after having been out to such an ungodly hour on my airport trip. Normally I wouldn’t care, but I was hoping to make a gym trip because I knew it would be hard to get much done over the next several days with my exhausting schedule.  By the time 8 pm rolled around I had recovered enough strength to make it through my shift at the MHIR.  It helped that my tasks during the shift were relatively easy, mostly pack-out of fairly light items (cleaning supplies, insecticides, gardening tools) in the “inside” garden area.

Yes, I actually made it to the gym on Saturday, and did mostly back work.  I started with one-arm dumbbell rows: 4 x 8 x 90/90, 2 x 8 x 95/95.  These went well, especially as I concentrated on form.  Next up were shrugs on the standing calf machine: 4 x 10 x 360.  I had wanted to do some T-bar rows, but the apparatus was constantly busy, and in any event the one-arm dumbbell rows were successful enough that it didn’t matter.  I finished the session with biceps curls on the EZ-bar, 4 x 8 x 40.  Yes, that’s a laughably low weight, but my right elbow was bothering me a bit and a couple attempts with a heavier bar were too painful. Work on Saturday’s 8 to midnight shift was harder than Friday’s, with all sorts of heavy stuff being hoisted and hauled.

Sunday and Monday were a new dimension in brutal work.  Both were 8-hour shifts, 12:30 to 9 on Sunday and the more typical 3:30 to midnight on Monday.  With the garden center being jammed, I basically ran around nonstop.  The times I waited on customers were a welcome relief, but most of the time I was carrying and lugging stuff – often in the hot sun, especially on Sunday.  It was absolutely exhausting, though at least there was a cookout for employees on Monday.

Published in: on May 27, 2014 at 9:43 pm  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: