Monday, June 30 – Tuesday, July 1

A non-green sight on the Greenway

Monday.  The first day of my week off from my regular job, though I’ve got 20 hours scheduled at the Major Home Improvement Retailer.  What shall I do with all this free time on my hands?  I decided to start out by hiking on the Setauket -Port Jefferson Greenway, a recently completed 3.5-mile trail that connects the two communities.  “Hiking” might seem a strange choice of word for a paved path, about the width of a single-lane road, that is open to walkers, runners and bikers.  Yet I’ll stick with it, as the Greenway has some fairly substantial elevation changes, not like trekking through the Himalayas but certainly much more than a stroll down the lane.

I parked just off Old Town Road, near the midpoint of the Greenway, and decided to hike east to the Port Jefferson end and back.  Another time I’ll try the western half to Setauket.  The first quarter-mile or so went through a residential neighborhood, right past peoples’ backyards.  It then went into a wooded area, down a long hill and through an old sand-and-gravel operation, and then up a steep incline that lasted for maybe a third of a mile.

At was at the top of the hill where I was in for quite a surprise.  Local governments have been trying for over 15 years to get federal “Superfund” money to clean up an abandoned factory complex known as Lawrence Aviation.  So far they’ve made little progress.  The factory site is up a long, fenced-off driveway and isn’t visible from anywhere on public land.  Well, almost anywhere.  Turns out that the Greenway runs right along the site, offering an excellent view of the rusting, decaying, graffiti-covered buildings.   It’s a strange juxtaposition, all I can think of is that when the Town of Brookhaven was assembling land for the Greenway this particular route was all that was available. Anyway, I walked the remaining half-mile or so to the Port Jefferson terminus, had a Diet Pepsi from the 7-11 located conveniently at the trailhead, and walked back to my car.

On Tuesday, I figured it was high time to drag my lazy self to the gym.  It was so hot out that hiking the other half of the Greenway was a distinctly unattractive option.  I started out with bench presses, using the flat bench this time: 6 x 135, 6 x 185, 6 x 205, 4 x 4 x 225, 8 x 185.  Not bad.  Then I decided to do some back work, using the T-bar row apparatus which was right next to the bench.  It was the kind that had a home plate-shaped base, with the pointed end in a corner, and with a pivoted sleeve on the base.  You slip a barbell into the sleeve, add weights on the other end, grip the bar using a D-shaped handle from the cable station, and row away.  I did 8 x 90, 8 x 115, 8 x 135, 8 x 145.  It wasn’t bad, much more natural-feeling than the T-bar apparatus with the chest pad.

I worked the 8 to midnight shift at the MHIR, assigned to plant watering.  Normally I can get the watering done in about two hours, but tonight it took closer to three, as what with the hot weather the plants were soaking up water like anything.  Still, it wasn’t a bad shift.

Published in: on July 2, 2014 at 9:40 pm  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: