Monday, April 6 – Wednesday, April 8

A tolerable start

Back from the week off from my regular job, on Monday morning I began the new system that I will be followed for the next two months (though I suspect it may end up permanent). Instead of spending two days at each of four worksites in the course of a two-week cycle, I will have six sites in my rotation. Four of them will be one-day sites, I will go to them on Mondays and Tuesdays, while two will be two-day sites, for Wednesdays and Thursdays. Both of the two new sites will be on Tuesdays. The idea is that I won’t have as many tasks to accomplish at the one-day sites, though even before starting my skepticism level was high.

This new system did not get off to an auspicious start on Monday. While I was able to finish by the normal time I had to rush like crazy. More worrisome, it is the easiest site on my rotation (which needless to say is why it’s first). I was concerned that Tuesday’s site would take much longer, which would not be good as I was scheduled for an 8 to midnight shift at the Major Home Improvement Retailer.

My fears were not realized. Tuesday’s site, which I hadn’t been to in several months, may have been larger but somehow seemed less complicated. I worked at a normal pace and had no trouble finishing on schedule. The only downside was that the site is near Exit 57 on the Expressway, so getting there meant dealing with some rush hour traffic. It wasn’t too bad, but of course that can change at any time. Wednesday was my first day at a two-day site and went just fine. I actually was able to leave about 30 minutes early.

As for the MHIR, I worked 8 to midnight on both Tuesday and Wednesday. Both were tough shifts. There was what seemed like a towering mountain of freight to pack out on Tuesday, while on Wednesday it was more of a jack of all trades deal. On both evenings I had to wrap outside plant stands in plastic sheeting to protect the plants from the wind and the unseasonable cold. It was tedious work, and on Wednesday a cold rain made it all that much worse. I also.had to spend 45 minutes in the rain on Wednesday cutting shrink wrap off pallets of topsoil and mulch.  It was every bit as miserable as it sounds.

Another thing that’s rather miserable is my gym going. I could have gone easily enough on Monday, but I was lazy and wasted too much time. Tuesday I had several hours between the two jobs but again didn’t go anywhere near the gym. At least I had an excuse, as we went to Bobby’s Burger Palace,  always one of my favorite stops. Wednesday I was just too tired.  What with the busy season at the MHIR there’ll always be some excuse for not going.  I’m going to have to be a lot more.diligent.

Published in: on April 9, 2015 at 7:52 pm  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: