Friday, December 4 – Sunday, December 6

My recovery continued on Friday, but I still wasn’t back to 100%. There was my good old reliable cough, and my energy levels were better but still somewhat diminished. All of which is a roundabout way of saying that I wasn’t quite ready to make my long-delayed return to the gym. Sorry. For the most part I did very little all day.

It’s a good thing that my strength levels were mostly better on Saturday and Sunday because I worked an 8-hour shift each day at the Major Home Improvement Retailer. On Saturday I did 1:30 to 10, and it was just plain brutal. Until about 6:30 I spent most of my time in the Christmas aisle, which was a madhouse.  People were buying lights and decorations at a furious pace, and I was constantly down stocking items and searching for (usually sold out) products. You’d think that shopping for lights and decorations would put people in good moods, and maybe that often is the case, but trust me when I say that the items are sold out, the aforementioned mood sink like a stone.

What happened at 6:30 made me think that maybe the Christmas aisle wasn’t so bad after all. Due to a scheduling mixup on management’s part I found myself along in the garden department, and therefore had to take charge of the tree lot.  How many people buy Christmas trees on a Saturday evening?  Lots and lots of people! I had to run around like a chicken with its head cut off, often with several tree-toting people in line to have der tanenbaums wrapped and trimmed.  Thankfully the parking lot attendant was able to help me out, otherwise I have no idea what I would have done.  Given the customer flow there should have been at least three and ideally four people on duty. How I survived, I just don’t know.

Sunday was a bit more reasonable.  Garden was pretty well staffed, and I worked both inside and in the tree lot at various times.  At all times there was a sense of things being under control, and that was a huge contrast compared to the day before.  In the evening was the MHIR’s holiday party, held at the same catering joint as last year … complete with the same valet parking (tips expected), cash bar, and mediocre food. It wasn’t all bad, as the store manager actually apologized to me for Saturday evening’s scheduling slip-up. That was nice.


Published in: on December 9, 2015 at 9:28 pm  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: