Monday, March 13 – Friday, March 17

Other peoples’ panic was my gain

What with the dire weather forecasts sending everyone into a panic (as you may have guessed, I’m always on the skeptical side), I found out very early Monday morning that my regular job was cancelled for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, though I’d be working Friday which isn’t usually the case. Exactly why the Powers That Be decided to cancel for Monday was a mystery. Snow wasn’t forecast to begin until late Monday or the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. But hey, I took advantage of the weather panic and went off to the range with my new Maverick 88 shotgun. On the way there I stopped at Wal-Mart for ammunition. I picked up 100 rounds of standard shells, 2 3/4 inches, #7.5 birdshot, and 25 rounds of 3″ magnum shells, #2 steel waterfowl shot.

When I got to the range I realized that I had forgotten to get any ear plugs, and the trailer that sells ammo and supplies wasn’t open. My solution? Let’s just say that duct tape is highly useful 🙂 As for the shotgun, it performed admirably well. It cycled easily and I had no trouble with shells failing to feed or extract.  I fired off 50 of the standard shells and all 25 of the magnums. It was cold out, I was wearing a thick sweater and a fleece jacket, but all that padding came in quite handy when I fired the magnums. According to an online recoil calculator I found later, the shells produced about the same recoil energy as a .375 H&H magnum rifle, which is literally an elephant gun. Compared to them the standard shells felt like nothing, even though they’re equivalent in recoil to a high-powered hunting rifle such as a .300 Winchester magnum. I actually like strong recoil, it sounds strange but somehow it makes the shooting experience more authentic. Next time I bring the Maverick to the range I’ll try some slugs.

Oh, the dreaded snowstorm? It naturally turned out to be much ado about almost nothing. While areas farther to the west got some substantial snowfalls, we got just a few inches, definitely not enough to bother about. I enjoyed my days off, especially as I didn’t even have to shovel. I’m not going to be so boastful as to claim I predicted the storm would be meaningless, but suffice to say I didn’t share in the panic, for which I’m rather proud. Wednesday evening I had a 4-hour shift at the Major Home Improvement Retailer, and it was basically as dead as a doornail (an expression I’ve never quite understood).

However easy Wednesday’s MHIR shift might have been, my main job was most assuredly not easy on Thursday and Friday. The latest work cycle is an utterly brutal one, really a case of more work than anyone can hope to accomplish in the allotted time. Even with taking only minimal lunch breaks and staying over an hour late each day there was much I simply couldn’t do. That’s not a big deal, as it can be done some other time, but I really don’t like it when I have to leave some tasks undone. But I did my best, guess that’s all that really matters.

Published in: on March 27, 2017 at 1:21 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: